ALL THE REST –    April 4

Today's Quotations – Miscellaneous Topics

Bromidic though it may sound, some questions don't have answers, which is a terribly difficult lesson to learn.romidic though it may sound, some questions don't have answers, which is a terribly difficult lesson to learn.

Katharine Graham

Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.

Paulo Freire 

Neutrality is to side with the strongest.

Aksel Sandemos

The important thing is never to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

Man is born to live and not to prepare to live.

Boris Pasternak

Today's Short Words of  Wisdom

Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?

Abraham Lincoln

word puzzle
  Today's Word – SEDITIOUS

se·di·tious  

adjective 1. Of, relating to, or having the nature of sedition. 2. Given to or guilty of engaging in or promoting sedition. Synonym insubordinate.

Had the acute-angled rabble been all, without exception, absolutely destitute of hope and of ambition, they might have found leaders in some of their many seditious outbreaks, so able as to render their superior numbers and strength too much even for the wisdom of the Circles.

Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott
Definitions from American Heritage Dictionary

Today's Fact

Carbonated
Sodas

Carbonated Sodas

Today's carbonated waters and 'sodas" originate from an attempt by Europeans to duplicate the effervescence of the waters from their popular springs. This bubbly water was reputed to have great health benefits. Over the years a number of respected scientists were instrumental in the production of these beverages.

In the early 1600's a Flemish chemist, Jan Baptista van Helmont, used the term "gas" to refer to the natural water's carbon dioxide content. In the mid 1700's a Frenchman, Gabriel Venel, mistakenly called the liquid "aerated water." Many chemists were fascinated by the bubbly water and numerous studies were conducted in the late 18th century by these chemists. Several members of the prestigious Royal Society of London experimented with these waters. Henry Cavendish and Joseph Priestly were among the scientists intrigued with the effervescent waters. Priestly published a treatise entitled: Directions for Impregnating Water with Fixed Air. Though the work was of dubious value, it won Priestly the Coply Medal from the Royal Society.

The scientist who correctly identified Priestly's "fixed air" as a combination of oxygen and carbon was the French chemist Antoine Lavoisier. He called the combination "gaz acide carbonique.' In 1775, John Mervin Nooth of England, perfected laboratory equipment that allowed him to produce small amounts of the bubbly water. In 1782, the English chemist Thomas Henry, described a method for producing carbonated waters commercially. Shortly after Henry's work, factories and bottling plants began to operate in London, Paris, Geneva and Dublin.

In the United States the production of artificially carbonated waters began in 1807. In that year, Benjamin Stillman opened a public establishment for dispensing "soda water" at Yale University. At about the same time in Philadelphia Joseph Hawkins began to sell his bottled artificially carbonated waters. In 1809 Joseph Hawkins received the first U. S. patent for the preparation of "imitation mineral waters."

As time went on more carbonated sodas appeared to challenge the taste of Americans. Many of these beverages are popular today. Below are the years that several carbonated sodas were introduced.

Dr. Pepper - 1886
Coca-Cola - 1886
Hires Root Beer - 1886
Pepsi-Cola - 1898
Canada Dry Ginger Ale - 1904
7-Up - 1933
Diet-Rite - 1962
Tab - 1963
Diet Pepsi - 1965.

Sources:
The Browser's Book of Beginnings and Origins of Everything under, and Including the Sun - Charles Panat | Encyclopaedia Britannica |

clown
Today's SMILE

A cheerful heart is good medicine,
but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
Proverbs 17:22 (NIV)

"What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but trifles, to be sure; but, scattered along life's pathway, the good they do is inconceivable."

Joseph Addison

A FEW SMILES   

Past Due Bill

A customer sent an order to a distributor for a large amount of goods totaling a great deal of money.

The distributor, noting that the previous bill hadn't been paid. The collections manager left a voice-mail for them saying "We can't ship your new order until you pay for the last one."

The next day the collections manager received a collect phone call "Please cancel the order. We can't wait that long."

darsys@pro-entropy.cts.com   (Eric A. Seiden)

IT'S LIKE RIDING A BIKE

This preacher was looking for a good used lawnmower one day. He found one at a yard sale that Little Johnny happened to be manning.

"This mower work, son?" the preacher asked.

Little Johnny said, "Sure does -- just pull on the cord hard, though."

The preacher took the mower home and when he got ready to mow he yanked and pulled and tugged on that cord. Nothing worked. It wouldn't start.

Thinking he'd been swindled, he took the mower back to Little Johnny's house. "You said this would work if I pulled on the cord hard enough."

"Well," Johnny said, "you need to cuss at it sometimes."

The preacher was aghast. "I've not done that in years!"

"Just keep yanking on that cord, Preacher. It'll come back to you."

Top ten ways the Bible would be different if it were written by college students

10. Last Supper would have been eaten the next morning - cold.

9. The Ten Commandments are actually only five, double-spaced, and written in a large font.

8. New edition every two years in order to limit reselling.

7. Forbidden fruit would have been eaten because it wasn't cafeteria food.

6. Paul's letter to the Romans becomes Paul's e-mail to abuse@romans.gov.

5. Reason Cain killed Abel: They were roommates.

4. The place where the end of the world occurs: Finals, not Armageddon.

3. Out go the mules, in come the mountain bikes

2. Reason why Moses and followers walked in desert for 40 years: They didn't want to ask directions and look like Freshmen.

1. Instead of God creating the world in six days and resting on the seventh, He would have put it off until the night before it was due and then pulled an all-nighter.

laird@cs.byu.edu  (Mark J Laird)

The Strongman and the Lemon

The strongman at a circus sideshow demonstrated his power before a large audience. Toward the end, he squeezed the juice from a lemon between his hands. He then said to the audience, "I will offer $200 to anyone in the audience who can squeeze another drop from this lemon.

A thin scholarly looking man came forward, picked up the lemon, strained hard and managed to get a drop. The strongman was amazed. He paid the man and asked, "What is the secret of your strength?"

"Practice," the man answered. "I was the treasurer of the Methodist Church for thirty-two years!

darsys@pro-entropy.cts.com   (Eric A. Seiden)

Married in Heaven

A couple about to be married got into a car accident the day before they their wedding and died. When they went to Peter, they asked, "Peter, we would really like to be married here in heaven." Peter replied, "Why don't you wait a few years to make sure that you really would like to be together for forever." "OK" they replied. So they waited.

About a hundred years went by and they asked again. Again Peter said to wait a while. So again they waited. Another hundred years went by and they asked again. Peter finally said, "OK Why not." So of course they had a grand wedding. About Eighty years went by and they came to Peter and asked for a divorce. Peter replied, "Wait just a minute. It took me two hundred years to get a minister up here. How do you think I will ever get a lawyer up here?"

The Clergy and the Barber

A Rabbi went to the barber shop. After his hair cut, he got ready to pay the barber and the barber said, "No Rabbi, I don't charge the clergy for haircuts." So the next morning the barber found a loaf of Jewish rye bread outside of his door step.

A couple of days past and a Catholic priest came in to get his hair cut. He got ready to pay and the barber said, "No Father, I don't charge the clergy for hair cuts." So the next morning he found a bottle of wine outside his front door step.

A couple of days later the Baptist preacher came in to get his hair cut and when he got ready to pay the barber said, "No Reverend, I don't charge the clergy for their hair cuts." So the next morning, the barber found 15 Baptist preachers on his doorstep, ready to get their hair cut!

Mark D. Hodges

During a phone conversation, my nephew mentioned that he was taking a psychology course at university.

"Oh, great," I said, "Now you'll be analyzing everyone in the family."

"No, no," he replied. "I don't take abnormal psychology until next semester."

Philip Thompson

SHOCKING

A minister was asked to inform a man with a heart condition that he had just inherited a million dollars. Everyone was afraid the shock would give him a heart attack.

So the minister went to the man's house and said, "Joe, what would you do if you inherited a million dollars?"

And Joe said, "Well, pastor, I think I would give half of it to the church."

At which the pastor fell over dead.

By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends.

Daily Miscellany Comics

Have A Great Day

Phillip Bower

RETURN TO Today's DAILY MISCELLANY HOME

Send Mail to pbower@neo.rr.com

Copyright Information: Phillip Bower is not the author of the humor, and does not claim to own any copyright privileges to the jokes. Sources of jokes are listed when known. Birthday's and Happenings for the date, and quotations are public knowledge and collected from numerous sources. Quotations are public knowledge and sources are listed when known. Weekendspirations are written by Tim Knappeenberger who has copyright privileges. Cathy Vinson authors Whispers from the Wilderness and owns copyright privileges. Weekendspirations and Whispers from the Wilderness are used with permission by the respective authors. Other devotions are written by Phillip Bower unless otherwise stated. In all cases credit is given when known. The Daily Miscellany is nonprofit. Submissions by readers is welcome.