ALL THE REST —  October 19

Today's Quotations –  Action:

The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering!

Ashleigh Brilliant

Actions lie louder than words.

Carolyn Wells

Action is the last refuge of those who cannot dream.

Oscar Wilde

Action without thinking is a lot like shooting without aiming.

Anonymous

Never mistake motion for action.

Ernest Hemingway

The world we live in is old-fashioned. It still judges a man by what he does.

Anonymous

For every action there is an equal and opposite government program.

Bob Wells

word puzzle
  Today's Word – ENCOMIUM

en·co·mi·um noun, plural. en·co·mi·ums or en·co·mi·a 1. Warm, glowing praise. 2. A formal expression of praise; a tribute. [Latin enc˝mium˝mium, from Greek enk˝mion (epos), (speech) praising a victor, from enk˝mios, of the victory procession : en-, in; celebration.]

Definition from American Heritage Dictionary

Today's Fact

FACT

Seward's Folly
Some geography facts about Alaska.

William Henry Seward, served as secretary of state during the administration of Lincoln. Seward continued as secretary of state under President Andrew Johnson. During the Johnson, administration he became famous for the negotiation of the treaty by which the United States purchased Alaska from Russia. This achievement is often called "Seward's Folly."

Alaska is the largest state in the United States. Alaska is also the northernmost, westernmost, and easternmost state in the U.S. It is easy to see that it is the northernmost and westernmost. BUT how can it be easternmost state as well? The long line of the Aleutian Islands extend past the 180 degree line of longitude. This places some islands in the Eastern Hemisphere. Thus Alaska is the westernmost and easternmost US state.

Bonus Fact: On the night an assassin shot Lincoln, an attempt was also made on Seward's life.

"O LORD, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches. "

(Psalms 104:24)

clown
Today's SMILE

A cheerful heart is good medicine,
but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
Proverbs 17:22 (NIV)

"What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but trifles, to be sure; but, scattered along life's pathway, the good they do is inconceivable."

Joseph Addison

A FEW SMILES   

Up In Smoke

The coast guard recently stopped a boat off the California coast that was loaded with marijuana. There was so much of the stuff that they were in a quandary as to how to dispose of it. Finally they located a company on the nearby shore that had a huge kiln with a tall chimney rising high into the sky and they made a deal with the owners to burn the hemp.

For a time all went well, but suddenly a flock of birds flew right through the smoke pouring out of the top of the stack. As it turned out, these were terns that were native to the area and were endangered. So naturally, the environmentalists had to follow them to see what had happened.

And of course, they discovered that NO TERN WAS LEFT UNSTONED.

Dog Talk

Two poodles were chatting.

"I can't figure it out," said the first dog. "I'm in perfect physical shape, but I'm constantly anxious."

The second dog says, "Why don't you go to a psychiatrist?"

To this the first dog remarks, "How can I? I'm not allowed on the couch!!"

Brothers

Two boll weevils grew up in South Carolina. One went to Hollywood and became a famous actor. The other stayed behind in the cotton fields and never amounted to much.

The second one, naturally, became known as the lesser of two weevils.

The Ultimate In Cooperation...

A priest and a rabbi operated a church and a synagogue across the street from each other. Since their schedules intertwined, they decided to go in together to buy a car.

After the purchase, they drove it home and parked it on the street between them.

A few minutes later, the rabbi looked out and saw the priest sprinkling water on their new car. It didn't need a wash, so he hurried out and asked the priest what he was doing. "I'm blessing it," the priest replied.

The rabbi considered this a moment, then went back inside the synagogue. He reappeared a moment later with a hacksaw, walked over to the back of the car and cut off two inches of the tailpipe.

Dafynition

Q.: What do you get if you cross Lee Iacocca with Dracula?

A.: AUTO EXEC . BAT:

TRUE FACT ...

Humans begin laughing at two to three months of age. Six year olds laugh about 300 times per day, while adults laugh from 15 to 100 times per day.

SOURCE: NYT, Dr. William F. Fry, Stanford University

It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

Daily Miscellany Comics

Have A Great Day !

Soul Food October 19

Today in History for October 19

Return to DM's HOME

Send Mail to pbower@neo.rr.com

Looking for more quotations?
Past quotes from the Daily Miscellany can be found here!

I hope you are viewing this page with IE
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Still my favorite Browser!!

Copyright Information: Phillip Bower is not the author of the humor, and does not claim to own any copyright privileges to the jokes. Sources of jokes are listed when known. Birthday's and Happenings for the date, and quotations are public knowledge and collected from numerous sources. Quotations are public knowledge and sources are listed when known. Weekendspirations are written by Tim Knappenberger who has copyright privileges. Cathy Vinson authors Whispers from the Wilderness and owns copyright privileges. Weekendspirations and Whispers from the Wilderness are used with permission by the respective authors. Other devotions are written by Phillip Bower unless otherwise stated. In all cases credit is given when known. The Daily Miscellany is nonprofit. Submissions by readers is welcome.