ALL THE REST —  October 21

Today's Quotations –  CURIOSITY:

The first and simplest emotion which we discover in the human mind, is curiosity.

Edmund Burke

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality.

Albert Einstein

A person who is too nice an observer of the business of the crowd, like one who is too curious in observing the labor of bees, will often be stung for his curiosity.

Alexander Pope

Curiosity is as much the parent of attention, as attention is of memory.

Richard Whately

One of the secrets of life is to keep our intellectual curiosity acute.

William L. Phelps

Creatures whose mainspring is curiosity enjoy the accumulating of facts far more than the pausing at times to reflect on those facts.

Clarence Day

It is a shameful thing to be weary of inquiry when what we search for is excellent.

Marcus T. Cicero

Bright eyes indicate curiosity, and black eyes indicate too much curiosity.

Anonymous

word puzzle
  Today's Word – RECONDITE

rec·on·dite adjective 1. Not easily understood; abstruse. Synonyms ambiguous. 2. Concerned with or treating something abstruse or obscure: recondite scholarship. 3. Concealed; hidden.

The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us. His grey eyes shone and twinkled, and his usually pale face was flushed and animated.

The Time Machine, by H(erbert) G(eorge) Wells [1898].

Definition from American Heritage Dictionary

Today's Fact

FACT

Not For Punishment

The necktie has its origins in Ancient Rome. Roman soldiers wore "neckties" to keep them warm in the cold and to absorb sweat when it was hot. Sometime later, European armies began to follow the custom. During the French Revolution, the general public began to wear ties about the neck. The color of the cloth signaled their allegiance to either the rebels or to the royalists.

The necktie then gradually moved from a political statement to a fashion statement. Men's attire was generally drab and colorless, the necktie was the one place where a man could show some color. state.

Mammoth Book of Oddities – Frank O’Neil

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life. Let the skies be filled with birds of every kind."

Genesis 1:20

clown
Today's SMILE

A cheerful heart is good medicine,
but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
Proverbs 17:22 (NIV)

"What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but trifles, to be sure; but, scattered along life's pathway, the good they do is inconceivable."

Joseph Addison

A FEW SMILES   

Heart Transplant

A man needs a heart transplant and is put on the top of the priority list. Days are passing by, but there is still no available compatible heart. As death becomes imminent, his doctor presents him with a possible life-saving alternative.

"Jim, we want to help you, but we cannot find a compatible human heart. However, we are testing animal hearts in humans and can offer you a sheep heart. Are you willing?"

The man agrees after weighing the options, and the surgeon transplants the sheep heart into him. A few days after the operation, the man comes in for a checkup. The doctor asks him "How are you feeling?" The man replies "Not BAAAAD!"

Sesame Street Bus

Have you heard about the man who got the job driving the bus for Sesame Street? He was really looking forward to meeting all the Sesame Street characters, and so he was filled with great anticipation his first day on the job. As he stood outside the bus waiting for his riders to begin to arrive, the first person he saw approaching the bus was an *extremely* large woman. Before she boarded the bus, he asked her her name. Huffing and puffing from the exertion of walking, she replied, "My name is Patty."

"Well, Patty, climb on board. We'll be leaving shortly." The next passenger, a man just as big as the woman, was wearing a large green suit. When asked his name by the new driver, he replied with a noticeable accent, "My name is Patrick...I'm Irish, you know. My friends all call me 'Patty'."

"Patty, meet Patty. You two can get to know each other while I await several more passengers that I see coming."

As the new driver stood there, he found himself thinking, "Where are Bert and Ernie???" The next passenger was a little retarded boy. "Hi, little boy. What's your name?"

"My name is Ross, and my parents tell me I'm special."

"Ross, I'm really glad to have a nice boy like you ride on my bus today. Climb on, and we'll leave in just a minute." The last person to approach the bus was a really strange looking man. "Hello, sir. What's your name?"

In a surly manner he answered, "My name is Lester Creep!" For lack of anything better to say, he told him, "Lester, we're about to leave so please have a seat."

Now the driver was really thinking, "I thought I was going to meet Big Bird and Cookie Monster!!!" As he was pulling away from the curb, he looked in his rear view mirror. Much to his horror, he saw Lester sitting there with his shoe off, picking at a bunion or something on his big toe. "Oh, gross!" he thought. "This is nothing like I thought it would be! No Bert, no Ernie! Just a bunch of weirdoes!!!"

He mulled it all over for a while, then suddenly he began to smile. He thought to himself, "Who would ever believe that, the first day on my new job I have two obese Patties, special Ross, and Lester Creep pickin' bunions on a Sesame Street Bus?!?!"

Native American Tribe

There is an Indian tribe near here that has a problem: they can't sleep. It is a small tribe; only 500 members, but every one has insomnia. They are called the Indian-napless 500.

Materialistic

A very successful lawyer parked his brand-new Lexus in front of his office, ready to show it off to his colleagues. As he got out, a truck passed too close and completely tore off the door on the driver's side. The lawyer immediately grabbed his cell phone, dialed 911, and within minutes a policeman pulled up. Before the officer had a chance to ask any questions, the lawyer started screaming hysterically. His Lexus, which he had just picked up the day before, was now completely ruined and would never be the same, no matter what the body shop did to it.

When the lawyer finally wound down from his ranting and raving, the officer shook his head in disgust and disbelief. "I can't believe how materialistic you lawyers are," he said. "You are so focused on your possessions that you don't notice anything else."

"How can you say such a thing?" asked the lawyer.

The cop replied, "Don't you know that your left arm is missing from the elbow down? It must have been torn off when the truck hit you."

"My God!" screamed the lawyer. "Where's my Rolex?"

Signs you may Have bought a bad car

1. As you leave the used car lot, you see the owner rush out with a gigantic smile and high-five the salesman.

2. You notice that the car phone they threw in "for free" has a direct line to Moes's Towing Company.

3. The booster cables are not in the trunk but are permanently soldered to the battery.

4. The hood has been equipped with a push-button device for quick and easy opening.

5. The "Purchased From" sticker at the bottom of the rear license plate has been removed.

6. You get a "Good Luck" card from the previous owner.

7. As you drive up to a service station for gas, the mechanic opens the big door and waves you in.

8. When you leave for work the next morning, you notice a tow truck parked about a block from your driveway. As you go by, it silently falls in behind you.

9. The little "Service Engine" warning signal in the dashboard comes on and reads "Me Again."

TRUE FACT ...

Humans begin laughing at two to three months of age. Six year olds laugh about 300 times per day, while adults laugh from 15 to 100 times per day.

SOURCE: NYT, Dr. William F. Fry, Stanford University

I get plenty of exercise - jumping to conclusions, pushing my luck, and dodging deadlines.

Daily Miscellany Comics

Have A Great Day !

Soul Food October 21 & 22

Today in History for October 21

Today in History for October 22

Return to DM's HOME

Send Mail to pbower@neo.rr.com

Looking for more quotations?
Past quotes from the Daily Miscellany can be found here!

Copyright Information: Phillip Bower is not the author of the humor, and does not claim to own any copyright privileges to the jokes. Sources of jokes are listed when known. Birthday's and Happenings for the date, and quotations are public knowledge and collected from numerous sources. Quotations are public knowledge and sources are listed when known. Weekendspirations are written by Tim Knappenberger who has copyright privileges. Cathy Vinson authors Whispers from the Wilderness and owns copyright privileges. Weekendspirations and Whispers from the Wilderness are used with permission by the respective authors. Other devotions are written by Phillip Bower unless otherwise stated. In all cases credit is given when known. The Daily Miscellany is nonprofit. Submissions by readers is welcome.