Some Lighthouse FACTS
Early lighthouses used lamps fueled by whale oil, rapeseed,
lard and kerosene to provide the light. One of the lighthouse
keeper's duties included trimming the wicks of the lamp to provide the most light. Early lighthouse keepers were called "wickies." Eventually all of the lighthouses used electricity
to provide the light. The U.S. Lighthouse Service operated all
of the lighthouses until 1910. Operation was then transferred
to the Commerce Department - Bureau of Lighthouses.
In 1939, the U.S. Coast Guard took over management of the lighthouses. Many of the stations today are automated. The
care of a "keeper" or "wicky" is no longer required...
except on Peke Avenue!
Her name was PuppySue when we got her and we just kept the name!
We later heard the family called her PuppyLou but it was too late.
She answered to PuppySue and we kept that name.
She had the most angelic little face and the disposition of a mad
Grizzly Bear...*Smile*...but we think she just wanted to HOG the
attention. She adored her "sister" Patches, her other Florida buddy,
although they are not related, but she did not care for the other
female dogs that lived on Peke Avenue. She spent her time in Mom's
computer room, where she had her own bed and a buddy named Gizmo.
She liked to sleep on the bed and sometimes "remakes" it to suit herself.
We would like to acknowledge the Holiday Inn Coliseum of
Biloxi for their encouragement, cooperation and help in our
journey to pick up PuppySue and Patches.
PuppySue thanks her "blonde" pal, Lady Susitna, for being
a "travel buddy" on the trip up from Florida!
|